Get truck license plates

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a registration reciprocity agreement among states of the United States, the District of Columbia and provinces of Canada providing for payment of apportionable fees on the basis of total distance operated in all jurisdictions. IRP's fundamental principle is to promote and encourage the fullest possible use of the highway system.


If you operate a commercial vehicle in interstate commerce, you will most likely have to obtain the IRP tags. Biz Inc. is licensed by the office of the Secretary of State to issue 45 Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization Permits in the state of Illinois. Contact us if you have questions regarding the requirements in your state. The information and documents that you have to provide in order to receive an apportioned license plate vary slightly from state to state.


In order to register your truck in the state of Illinois for the first time, you will have to provide the following:


- Driver's License: A copy of your valid Illinois driver's license with the current address. If you employ one or more drivers, copies of their licenses will be required as well.


- Proof of Illinois address: You must provide the most current copies of four items to verify your Illinois residence or business address, such as:

  • phone bill (required),

  • rental agreement or mortgage statement,

  • property tax bill or assessment,

  • certificate of insurance (auto liability, life, healh, and so on),

  • utility bills (gas, electric, water),

  • articles of Incorporation/Organization,

  • personal car or commercial vehicle financing agreement,

  • copy of your last year’s personal or business Illinois Income Tax Return.


- Proof of ownership: It must include your vehicle’s make, year, VIN and owner’s information. The acceptable documents are:

  • copy of a title issued in your name,

  • copy of both sides of a title assigned to you,

  • copy of the Illinois tax form ST-556 (if purchased from a dealer in Illinois),

  • dealer’s bill of sale showing the dealer’s license # (in some cases, a state’s tax form must be attached),

  • bill of sales between private parties are no longer accepted.